Friday, May 20, 2022

Memphis Cotton Exchange

My mom and I wanted a short girls trip, but more than an overnight. Neither of us had been to Graceland, so one week we flew to Memphis. The flight was ridiculously early, and we arrived in The Home Of Blues in time for lunch.

With the whole day to kill, we decided on a whim to visit the Memphis Cotton Exchange on Union Avenue. I really knew very little about cotton in this country, but this trip really opened my eyes.

The baskets of cotton were beautiful, but also a sad reminder of the cost of human sacrifice. Not only were the African American people terribly mistreated as slaves, but they weren’t even allowed in this place when it was in operation in the late 1800’s.

As much as I love history, it's hard to reconcile that love for the sorrow that I feel for the enslaved people of that time that made so much, like these vintage items below, possible.

I’m glad this place still stands, and that they do a good job explaining the injustices and sacrifices that made this all possible. I think that viewing this museum the right way, it’s an excellent peek into our past. 

There's a gift shop too, and it's also right in the heart of a really cool area of Memphis, with some great restaurants.

If you're visiting this area of Tennessee, it's well worth the trip. There's something for everyone to learn here.

No comments:

Post a Comment