Tuesday, August 22, 2023

A Note From Grandma's Hands

Nowadays "we" are everywhere. If we have social media, it's not unusual to have pictures of ourselves online everyday. We often write our own words too, making it so easy to look back upon our memories. I love how Facebook and sometimes Shutterfly and Google Photos will send me a message saying "your memories from ___ years ago." I always click on them and love to reminisce.

But recently, while working on reviving some old scrapbooks, I stumbled upon these: the Wings my dad got while flying in World War 2. I knew I had them. They've been in my possession for decades. But what I didn't know (or at least remember) was that my grandmother Hilda had written me a note inside. When I read it anew this past week, my heart was full.  

And it makes me wonder, while hopefully future generations will be able to get to know us and see our lives online, could we do little things that would make personal and more meaningful connection with them decades from now? 

There are many little ways we could do that. One other post that is similar to this is The Legacy of Recipe Cards. I love those so much. Or perhaps we could make a special scrapbook, handmade greeting card, or simply a handwritten letter. They even have "grandparent books" that ask you questions and you fill in the answers. You could even think about creating a personal blog. The content there is what is known as "evergreen," meaning that it will always be online. Perfect for future generations wherever they may be.

How precious to have a little note in my grandmother's handwriting just to me.

I was a very little girl when my grandmother wrote me these words, and I'm now in my early 60's. Time doesn't really matter. What does is that she was thinking of me and which Wings I would like to have. I really appreciate that so very much. 

I'll bet she had no idea when she penned these words that they would come to mean more to me than the Wings themselves. I want to leave that kind of legacy to those who follow me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment