Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Atlantic Hearts Koi Pond

Today's card was made for my dear, kind friend Karen, who graciously mailed me a pile of wonderful dies that she was finished using. My heart was so happy when I opened the envelope. I love all of them, but the one that intrigued me the most was the Koi Fish die. I would have never chosen to buy this one on my own, but after using it today, I absolutely love it. 

Wanting to make a "thank you" card for her, I gathered the dies pictured below (just a few of the ones she sent) and headed over to Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge blog for some inspiration.

Their Sketch #700 is one that I love for a fun reason; it features three flowers! I like to make fun of myself sometimes because making a card with three flowers is definitely my "go to" design. However, for this challenge, I instantly thought that the Koi Fish would make a good substitute, as their tails resemble the leaves.

I had to Google the markings of Koi Fish and was surprised that there are so many kinds. The one I made here is the most recognized, and they're the Kohaku variety. I studied their patterns and made several others before feeling like these three were a good representation. 


In addition to the dies pictured above, here is my supply list:

  • Stampin' Up! Night of Navy Card Stock
  • SU! Tangerine Tango Card Stock
  • SU! So Saffron Card Stock
  • SU! Azure Afternoon Card Stock
  • SU! Pacific Point Card Stock
  • Papertrey Spring Rain Card Stock
  • Michaels Off White Card Stock
  • Michaels Patterned Paper Pack
  • Copics Y21, YR09
  • Black Micron Pen
It was so much fun making this card! I felt the love that came with the free dies, and it was great to get away from my traditional three flowers and use something new and different. And I learned a bit about Koi Fish along the way!

Thanks again to Karen, and thank you for stopping by. I wish you a wonderful day!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely color combo and your fish are beautiful! Very creative to use them in place of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning thank you card Barb, and a wonderful way to say thank you to Karen.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a lovely card, I like bold combinations of colours.
    Thank you for sharing your creation with us at Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful card and a fun interpretation of the sketch. Thank you for joining us this week at the Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge and look forward to seeing you again soon!
    Anna, AHSC Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job. I love that you visualized the tails of the koi to mimic the leaves on the sketch. Clever! Great job with the koi markings. Thanks for joining us at Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge.

    sue n.

    ReplyDelete