Saturday, August 24, 2024

Stamped Pie Gift Box

I just found out that you can buy individual cardboard pie boxes from Walmart for about $2.00. They're a perfect way for stampers to decorate a box in a personal way that looks so very cute!

Yesterday it was the birthday of my mom's good friend. He just turned 82 and like most men, he's hard to buy for. Since he likes sweet potato pie, and they're hard to find, I thought I would make him one. Wanting to make it special, I decorated the box in a fun way too.

After buying the box, I stamped some background images directly on the box, then used Stampin' Up!'s Vintage Leaves Stamp Set and Dies to cut out the leaves.

For the wording, I used Stampin' Up!'s Layered Letters. The word "homemade" came from an old Michaels set.

But you can really do anything with a pie box. I think stars or birthday designs would be really cute too. And if you don't have stamps, pre-printed ephemera or even images that you grab from online would be really cute too.

Here's the birthday boy with his pie!
I also noticed that if you want bulk pie boxes, there are a lot of really cute styles available too.

I'm looking forward to using this idea for Christmas and other holidays too, and not just for pies. I think cookies would be perfect in these too!

Here is the link to the recipe that I used and that my mom said was the best ever: 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12142/sweet-potato-pie-i/

NOTE: I did line the bottom of the pie box with waxed paper, so if there was any grease residue from the pie it wouldn't leak through. This would be really important with cookies too especially if you're going to give them to someone later on.

Thanks so stopping by today, and happy crafting!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Fantastic idea, Barb! I wonder, are the boxes in the bakery department, or somewhere else! And wouldn't they even be awesome for cookies or other goodies? I love the idea that you have stamped the back and placed pretty leaves on top, giving a beautiful dimension to this thoughtful gift. Barb, do you have a favorite recipe? I mentioned to my hubby last night that I've never had a sweet potato pie, and want to make one. Thanks so much for sharing your yummy project AND for the great ideas!hugs,
    de
    {Creative Smiles - my little crafting world}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna! I thought the box was coming from the bakery (I did a pick-up order so I didn't pull the items myself). Apparently it's available in the wedding/cake decorating section at Walmart stores. This was my first sweet potato pie recipe and mom said it was the best she ever had. I think it's because I used real butter and whole milk. Here is a link to the recipe, which I will go back and add to the post as well: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12142/sweet-potato-pie-i/ Thanks so much for stopping buy Donna, and for your kind comments! :)

      Delete