One thing it seems that I can't have too many of is vintage baskets. So when I was browsing around the Salvation Army this morning, this one definitely caught my eye. And after snagging it for just $5.99 and doing some digging online, it turns out it was a fantastic buy.
The company that made this was called West Rindge Baskets, Inc. in Rindge, New Hampshire. They were in business from 1925 to 2005. In 1976 the company produced about 30,000 baskets a year. Despite the large number, they're still somewhat valuable today. After looking on eBay and Etsy they run around 40.00 plus shipping. I don't buy them for resale, but it's still nice to know that I got a good deal!
Once home, I simply used a slightly damp washcloth and some Murphy's Oil Soap Spray. It cleaned up the wood slats beautifully, especially on the top where dust had settled over so many years.
This is just one of several basket companies in the New England area that have since closed down. Basketville in Putney, Vermont was one of my favorites. It's wonderful to think of the contribution that these weavers brought to our lives. In fact, this basket was much cherished by what was probably its original owner, L. Frakes, as she or he carved their name prominently on the top of the basket. In the past, I've tried to sand down the name of the original owner, especially if it was written in pen, but this carving seem to make this piece more special.
![]() |
| I really love this bonus basket too. In fact, it would probably be perfect to hold a pie plate after it has cooled down from the oven. It was definitely pie day for me! |
The West Rindge basket is a pie carrier because there is a stand inside so that you can take 2 pies along with you. I would be doing an amazing job if I took one homemade pie to a potluck, but perhaps times were different back then.
I'm not going to be using it for pies, for I'd much rather bring cookies or cake to an event, but it's a perfect addition to my greeting card shelf. In fact, I've been wanting to redo my card storage area, and this was a perfect reason to get busy with the. In the picture below it's on the bottom shelf on the left. Inside are a bunch of Christmas cards that all too soon I'll be pulling out to send. Until then, I love knowing that this little bit of Americana is now at home with me!
Thanks so much for stopping by and have a wonderful day!


.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment