Thursday, August 10, 2023

A Huge Haul & 2 Challenges

God blesses each of us in different ways and at different times. Yesterday was my day! I was looking for a mannequin on Facebook Marketplace when I saw an ad for a LOT of Stampin' Up! rubber stamp sets for $1.00 each. You had to buy 20 minimum, but that's not a problem! 

It looked like they were in a large, business room somewhere, so I messaged the owner. Turns out someone had donated them to a nursing home, and the sales were helping them buy a new organ for the residents. 

I drove almost an hour to check out the situation and boy was it worth it! This is what I came home with for $120.00. And there were still many, many stamps still left for sale!

I shopped fairly quickly but was still there for about an hour, picking out sets. When I came home I organized them on my shelves, and just grabbed the first one, which was a set called Elements of Style. I actually think it wound up in my pile by mistake. It wasn't one that I probably would have normally selected from the catalog, and I really struggled with it. These are the first two cards I made:

I accidentally dipped my blending brush in the darker brown ink rather than the lighter brown one, and I just hate the results. The one on the left isn't too bad, but the one on the right reminds me of Weird Barbie. Did anyone else see and love that movie!?  I was trying for a vintage, lacy look and got "yuck." It's going in the trash after I salvage the back.

So I went to Pinterest and found some inspiration there. I found that stamping the image in a darker background really made it pop more. My complete supply list for the first card is:

  • Stampin' Up! Elements of Style (2013)
  • Speckletone True White Card Stock
  • Black Card Stock
  • Lawn Fawn Ballet Slipper Cardk Stock
  • Graphic 45 Patterned Paper
  • Copics YG61, Y02 & R81
  • Sentiment Strip from Simon Says Stamp

I'll probably keep this set, using it for weddings, anniversaries and sympathy cards. It's not easy for me to make it look good, but perhaps that's part of the fun on being a card maker.

The nice one in black and cream is being entered in two different challenges: Retro Rubber #212 and NBUS #53

It's been so much fun going through all these old sets. I'm ready for a lot more challenges both at Retro Rubber and at NBUS as a result of this haul! Keep your eyes peeled for craft supplies for sale. You never know what kind of amazing bargains you'll find! 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Barb, what a haul, and for a great cause! Lucky you - a day well spent! This was a great set, and I love your coloring here, beautiful design that shows off all teh best stamps in this set! Thanks so much for playing at Retro Rubber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice haul! Love your card and the coloring. Thanks for playing along with Retro Rubber Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! I love playing over at Retro Rubber!

      Delete
  3. I agree about stamping in a darker ink and it looks like a set that would work great heat-embossed in clear or gold and then coloring. But, girl, it was your day all right! And now, if someone else sees this who is able to drive there, you will have made her day, as well! I plan on seeing your name on NBUS a lot! (Only if you want, too, of course.) Thank you for sharing with everyone there! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darnell, thank you so much for the kind words. I agree about the metallic or clear stamping. Both are great ideas! I think I will try this next time. And I definitely plan on stopping over at NBUS a lot! I love your challenges and you seem like such a nice and fun girl. It’s a pleasure to participate with you!

      Delete
  4. Holy moly you scored big time on the stamps sets!! Don't you love the creative process?! From weird Barbie to a fabulous card! I love the end results. Congrats for being a top pick at Retro Rubber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tracy! Yes the process is very fun! I always enjoy sharing over at Retro Rubber! 💕

      Delete