Friday, June 2, 2023

Making A Vintage Yardstick Table

While looking for antiques and vintage items for our booth, I occasionally come across old yardsticks. They are intriguing because it's obvious where they came from. And often, we may remember these places.

I picked up a few along the way. They're pretty inexpensive, running about $2.00 each. But what I really wanted was enough of them to cover the top of a table. 

So I started looking at lots for sale on eBay and Etsy. That's when I hit the jackpot. I lived in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown Area) of Pennsylvania for 17 years. Both. my kids were born and raised there. The place is really special to me, even though it really wasn't home.

One day I stumbled upon a listing for a lot of about 30 yardsticks from the Lehigh Valley area! I bought it and my dream of making a yardstick table was turning into a reality.

Below is a video of how I made it. It's not a perfect table, but I think it turned out really well. And it's especially nice because I know many of the places listed on these yardsticks. In fact, the one that hits closest to home is from Dries Hardware in Macungie. We lived in Macungie for 10 years and I bought things from Dries many times. Sadly, it's not there anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment