Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Retro Rubber Challenge #225 - Tic, Tac, Toe!

I had such a good time making this card this afternoon. The Tic, Tac, Toe Board over at Retro Rubber Challenge this time (#rrcb225) has so many fun spaces on it, but when I first saw it I knew right away that I wanted to make a flower basket card.

I chose to go diagonally starting at the top left with a Shaped Card, Embossing and Floral.

Instead of putting a sentiment on it, for now I'm leaving it plain. The idea was to make an Easter basket card, but to me it looks more spring like, and I may actually make a birthday card out of it. My Mom's birthday is the 28th of next month, and it will be perfect for her because there are a few imperfections in this one. (More about that below.)

First, my supply list is:

  • Stampin' Up! Gorgeous Posies (2020)
  • Memento Lilac Posies Ink
  • SU! Rich Razzleberry Ink
  • SU! Pineapple Punch Ink
  • SU! Cinnamon Cider Ink
  • SU! Seaside Spray Ink
  • SU! Island Indigo Ink
  • SU! Parakeet Party Ink
  • SU! Cucumber Crush Ink
  • SU! Basket Embossing Folder

After fussy-cutting out all the flowers and leaves, I mounted all of this on an A2 card base and glued everything down. That's where I could have done a better job. First of all, I used Elmer's glue. I have so much of it that I try to stretch my stamping supplies a little with it when I think it won't matter too much. I found out why it's important to use a better quality glue. If you look closely at the picture below, you can see that the Elmer's glue made some of the dots of ink run a little.

Good quality glue does matter!
You can see on the large violet flower that the dots aren't as sharp as on the violet flower in the back.

The next thing that I could have improved upon was the glueing process. I was able to successfully glue everything down, but the back of the card could use some improving. I think I could trace the whole thing and cut it a little smaller then glue that on the inside of the card.

Also, some of the glue ran out, damaging the card base a little. To remedy this I should have glued the flowers on while the card was open, not closed. And putting down wax or parchment paper would probably have prevented some of the damage as well.

Anyway, I'm learning, even after all these years. And despite all this, I really like the card. And I have just the person to give it to: Mom. My Mom loves all my cards no matter what, and with her birthday right around the corner she will no doubt be delighted.

Thanks for stopping by today, and be sure to check out the cool Tic, Tac, Toe Challenge that's going on over at Retro Rubber right now. It's a great one with lots of possibilities!
Ugh, the back of the card could use some improving. Some old stamping
is visible and some glue damage shows. Next time will be better!

4 comments:

  1. So cute, Barb! I love the look of this card - I used to make quite a few of these... So many gorgeous flowers, perfectly arranged - great play on our challenge! Thanks so much for playing at Retro Rubber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words Heather! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful card, love the colors you used. Thank you for playing along with Retro Rubber Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete