Tuesday, October 24, 2023

1891 Postcard Upcycle for Time Out Challenges


Oh my goodness, this one was so fun! I just love vintage things. My mom and I used to have an antique booth to buy for, but we no longer do. Yet I still find myself shopping for relics of yesteryear.

I paid $5.00 for this pile of old mail!
I'm glad I got to put it to good use today!
One of my latest purchases was a handful of old letters, mostly envelopes really, from Michigan. The postcard featured on this card goes back to 1891. I used the original postcard on the card, but cut a hole out so the recipient can read the other side.

It's a perfect card for Time Out Challenges #249, as their theme this time is Vintage! 

Here's my complete supply list:

  • Vintage 1891 Postcard
  • Speckletone True White Card Stock
  • Speckletone Oatmeal Card Stock
  • Stampin' Up! Dapper Dad Stamp Set
  • SU! Sahara Sand Ink
  • SU! Old Olive Ink
  • SU! Pear Pizzazz Ink
  • SU! Basic Grey Ink
  • Washi Tape from Mark's Fantastical Sales
  • Sentiment Hero Arts
  • SU! Christmas Season Stamp Set (Leaves)
  • October Afternoon (perfect timing to use this!) patterned paper

A few of things that I did a little differently on this card:

First, I made it into a 5 x 7 because I needed extra space to put the postcard and the stamps.

Second, normally I would have loved some brads, but I just stopped by the post office last week to see if extra postage was needed to mail a particular card that had thick rhinestones on it. She said not really, BUT she  used to work and the mail sorting room and that bumpy cards would frequently get ripped in the machines. I bought some non-machineable stamps, but I don't want to take any chances with this one. Instead, I added stamped leaves instead of brads.

I also cut a hole in the card (picture below). Hopefully the person I send it to will think it's just as cool as I do. It actually says that the man whom it was written for was recovering! Good news!

I also had to resort to using washi tape around the edges because the Tombow glue leaked through a little and it dries tacky to the touch. Not good on any card, but especially not on a vintage one.

I've included a couple more pictures of how I did this.

I decided the placement of each of the objects first.
This is the inside of the card where you can still read most of the original writing.

I marked the corners of the postcard, then drew a box
just a little bit smaller and cut it out.
I'm hoping that there's a special older gentleman out there somewhere who will love this card as much as I do. 

And a very special thank you to everyone over at Time Out Challenges for encouraging me to get this card made just before this challenge ended. I'm so glad to have your inspiration today!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea to use a real vintage postcard on your card and I love how you cleverly made the back of the postcard readable. So happy you were inspired by our Vintage challenge, thanks for taking some Time Out to play cards with us at Time Out Challenges!
    Hugs, Kate (Cards a la Kate)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words, Kate! It was such a fun challenge to participate in!

      Delete
  2. Your post is a delight to read ! I am so in awe of how you thought of using actual vintage postcard.. wow! Also I love the balance of all the things - great visual appeal there! Also the leaves, the washi - great design. So good to see a lover of all things Vintage, join us at Time out challenges. Sending hugs ~ Ishani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for all your kind words Ishani! I really enjoyed this challenge especially! :)

      Delete