Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Retro Rubber's Winter Fun Challenge #222

Retro Rubber Challenge #222 (#rrcb222) is back for a new year and this time their theme is Winter Fun. That's so perfect for a day like today, because even here in West Central Florida, it's cold! Yup, it was a brisk 48° when I was in line at the thrift store this morning. I know it's much colder in most of the country, but with the humidity our 48° seems much colder. In fact, our new veterinarian just moved here from Massachusetts and said she was surprised that it really gets cold in Florida. Validation!

Anyway, I'm all bundled up as I finished this card. I'm kind of going out on a limb with this one, because this stamp set really isn't a winter set at all. It's a Stampin' Up! set called Very Vintage. But when I went looking for a winter set this morning, the lace doilies looked like snowflakes to me, so I went with it.

I tried to color the flowers in such a way that they looked cold. Then I embossed the doilies with Cosmic Shimmer Embossing Powder for a snowy look. Adding to the cold effect, I used iridescent rhinestones that I believe are from Stampin' Up! I think my demonstrator mailed them to me as a freebie "thank you" gift but I don't know their exact name.

My complete supply list is:

  • Stampin' Up! Very Vintage Stamp Set (from 2018)
  • Versa Mark Ink
  • SU! Boho Blue Card Stock
  • SU! Blueberry Bushel Ink
  • Copics B21 & YG11
  • Brilliant Sparkle Snow Cap Cosmic Shimmer Embossing Powder by Creative Expressions
  • Michaels White Embossing Powder
  • Iridescent Rhinestones
  • Spellbinders Nestabilities Oval and Scalloped Ovals
  • My Favorite Sentiment Die

I'm glad to be starting the new year back with Retro Rubber again. I love their challenges and it's always fun to play along.

Thanks so much for stopping by today and stay safe and warm!

Here's a different angle that show the Cosmic Shimmer Embossing Powder a little big better. It's always hard to know exactly how embossing powder will really look. I thought this may be white, but it's more clear that takes on the color of the card stock that it's applied to. I love the snowy finish thought. It's perfect for this challenge! (Note: this photo was taken before I put the rhinestones on.)

6 comments:

  1. I think this is such a fun and refined card, Barb - and definitely wintry with your color choices and shimmer! Those doilies totally look like snowflakes to me, too! We're struggling with cooler weather here in Arizona, too - frost warning three days in a row! Unheard of, lol. Stay bundled up! And thanks for playing at Retro Rubber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words Heather. The weather really is crazy everywhere. Stay warm there in Arizona! :)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful classic look! I love the doilies in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card! I love the colors and those doily snowflakes are stunning! Such a creative eye you have. And yes, the flowers look cold! Lol!

    ReplyDelete